If you are pressed for time or just want an easy-peasy recipe to impress your guests – elevate your Betty with a little lemon. Sometimes after a hearty holiday meal you want something a little lighter and not so savory. I love a chocolate dessert don’t get me wrong but citrus after a meal really does go a long way. This is pretty much impossible to mess up so give it a whirl the next time you have a celebration and want to end on a happy note. Plus the house smells divine while you make it so you really can’t help but smile.
Ingredients You Need:
1 Betty Crocker – French Vanilla Cake Mix (or if you’re feeling all Martha go ahead and make your favorite vanilla batter)
2 Betty Crocker Whipped Fluffy White Icing (again if you’re feeling all Martha go ahead and make your own)
1 Cup Water or Milk
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
Vanilla Extract (Optional)
Tools You Need:
Cake Leveler (best cake gadget ever!)
1. Bake cake as per Betty’s instructions located on the back of the box (eh hem – I mean as per your most beloved family recipe ;)).
2. Cut cake using a Cake Leveler to create two layers.
3. In a medium size bowl mix icing, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest gently together with a spatula.
4. Spread an even layer of icing onto bottom layer, carefully place the top sponge and coat entire cake with remaining icing.
5. Zest left over lemon across the top of cake as much or as little as you like.
Serve and enjoy!
We served this at our Easter celebration yesterday but it can be enjoyed at any time of year.